Thursday, December 28, 2006

Obsessed With Opalite

Anyone heard of it? Opalite is actually an opalized glass that is considered by many a gemstone, isn't a "true" gemstone. Sometimes, though, you have to ignore what everyone is saying about something and go with your gut, and my gut tells me that this stone is absolutely fab! From the first time I saw the pretty pearlescent beads called "opalite," I knew I had to have some to incorporate in my jewelry designs, like these:

Midnight Melody

I hand-wire-wrapped these earrings with opalite, top-drilled marquis shaped beads, Swarovski crystal in crystal AB (love that AB finish!)

Late-Night Lullaby

I strung super faceted opalite round beads with Swarovski crystal bicones in crystal AB and sterling silver beads. This bracelet features a 1" extension chain.

Wear these beautiful beads against a solid color and these babies simply pop! It's really one of those beads you have to see in person to believe how stunning it is. Opalite has a very similar look to Opal (the real gemstone), but is not quite as opaque. Gemstone or not, I love to work with it, wear it, and now share it with you guys!

No comments: